Holy Basil: The Natural Pharmacy
Holy Basil is a plant that is grown in Southeast Asia (India. Vietnam, Malaysia etc.,). Its more scientific name is Tulsi. Many people, for Holy Basil’s healing properties for several common ailments, worship it. Here are a list of the most common ones and how to use Holy Basil in treating them:
- Expectorant and Cough Relief: If you are familiar with Ayurvedic cough medicines, then you can look on the bottle and see that Holy Basil is a prime ingredient. It helps to loosen and free up mucus in asthma and bronchitis patients. If you don’t mind, you can chew the leaves of the Tulsi plant and get some relief from the cold or flu.
- Fever: Relieving fever is where Holy Basil shines, especially in kids. If you or your child has a fever, you can boil the Tulsi leaves along with powdered cardamom, add in some sugar and milk and this tea will reduce fever. Use about one pint of water. You can also use Tulsi juice, which is sold in bottles in many stores and online.
- Mouth Sores: Chewing Holy Basil leaves dramatically mitigates the symptoms of sores or ulcerations in your mouth (like cold sores). Many people swear that doing so eliminates the condition altogether.
- Large Pores/Blackheads: For people with very oily skin, or large pores, make this paste from Holy Basil: Use a tablespoon of chickpea power (“besan”) and 4 tablespoons of skimmed milk. Mix it into a paste and use it as a scrub for your face in the evening before bed. Rinse with warm water and pat dry. Then apply Holy Basil cream evenly on your face and let it sit overnight. Continue this for a month, and you will see dramatic results in the texture and clarity of your skin.
- Heart Conditions: Holy Basil reduces blood cholesterol and even relieves the weakness that goes along with some heart problems. Drink as a tea or juice.
- Teeth and Gum Care: Tulsi can be made into toothpaste by using its dried leaves. Grind the leaves into a powder and add water. Then, mix in mustard oil and voila, you have toothpaste. This paste will clean teeth, gums and eliminates bad breath. It also helps with the gum condition called Pyorrhea, which leads to loose teeth.
- Breathing Problems: Boiling the Holy Basil leaves with honey and ginger alleviates discomfort and issues that come from asthma, bronchitis, colds and other illnesses that make breathing difficult. Another remedy is boiling Holy Basil with cloves and table salt. To make these remedies use about one pint of water and reduce until about half the liquid remains.
- Insect Bites: To treat problems like bee stings or mosquito bites, Holy Basil works very well. Simply apply Holy Basil juice to the bite or sting once every 3-4 hours.
- Kidney Stones: If your kidney stones are small, Tulsi can help dissolve them over a period of a few months. Drink tea of Holy Basil leaves and honey daily until stones pass naturally.
- Stress: Combating the effects of stress is one of the strongest selling points for Holy Basil. Chewing the leaves will induce feelings of calm.
Holy Basil is amazing plants that can help alleviate many common and daily aggravating conditions. Having Basil juice and leaves around the house can only be useful. Buy yours today. Holy Basil: Stress Combatting Super Hero Most of us think about stress as a negative part of life. But it is actually a very positive reaction from a biological and survival standpoint. When the body senses danger, hormones are released to assist it to either “fight or flee”. In our modern lives, physically fleeing is less common that the psychological stress of pressure to meet deadlines and perform jobs optimally. Stress is good for this too. How else can most people pull and all-nighter to get the proposal ready for the morning? We need stress.
The problem comes when stress is a constant in our lives. Sadly, constant stress seems to be a given for most people “living the dream”. Stress hormones can have effects that go unnoticed. They can affect metabolism, cause inflammation, and determine immune system responses. So, for example, when our body is continually stressed, that is, continually bombarded by high levels of cortisol and corticosterone, our digestive function can become impaired which can lead to a bigger appetite and subsequent weight gain. Also, the nervous system can become damaged and this can cause anxiety or depression. Finally, too much stress can suppress our immune system. This is when the body needs help in healing the body from the effects of unrelenting stress. This is also where Holy Basil is a miracle worker. Holy basil acts like an adaptogen. This strengthens the body’s natural response to physical and emotional stress. Adaptogenic herbs like Holy Basil do not alter mood, but rather, they help the body function optimally during times of stress. Multiple scientific have found that supplementation with various extracts of holy basil decrease stress hormone levels like corticosterone. Lower levels of corticosterone are associated with improved mental clarity and memory, can reduce the risk of age-related mental disorders.